The South African Weather Service library is located at the South African Weather Services Head Office in Pretoria, just off the N1 North on the Rigel Avenue off ramp. Its collection consists mainly of publications in the field of climatology, meteorology and related sciences.
The Collection Encompasses the following materials:
(1) Monographs arranged according to the Universal Decimal Classification (UDC) system
(2) Periodicals arranged alphabetically according to title. Approximately 255 titles are received regularly.
(3) Government Publications of South Africa. Only relevant South African Government departments' annual reports, commission reports and white papers are collected.
(4) Meteorological and climatological statistics of various countries.
(5) Atlases (eg. climatological atlases of various geographical areas, cloud atlases and general geographic atlases).
(6) Slides and photographs (pre-1985) of the South African bases at SANAE, Marion and Gough Islands.
(7) World Meteorological Organization publications. Browse also the WMO site at www.wmo.int
(8) Bibliographies and Abstracts. National coverage: Bibliography of Regional Meteorological Literature: South Africa, vol. i-iv (1486-1972) International coverage: Meteorological and Geo-astrophysical Abstracts 1974-
(9) Newspaper Cuttings, with regard to climate and weather, have been kept up to date since the 1920's.
(10) Reference Sources, such as encyclopedia's, language and technical dictionaries.
(12) Daily Newspapers
Information services to the public include:
(1) Loans from the collection are available through interlibrary loan.
(2) Photocopying facility, subject to copyright law (Browse: The South African Copyright Forum ), is available at a cost per page.
Access to the library is subject to the following rules: Access may be obtained to the library information sources during office hours, 08:00 to 16:30, Mondays to Fridays excluding public holidays. Visitors to the library should preferably make an appointment in order to ensure that they are appropriately accommodated.