“A weather - smart nation.”
The vision has been reviewed to be simpler and to articulate clearly the desired end state. In this case, the organisation wants to achieve an end-state where citizens, communities and business sectors are weather resilient because they are able to use the information, products and services provided by the South African Weather Service optimally.
“A weather and climate centre of excellence providing innovative solutions to ensure a weather-smart region, sustainable development and economic growth.” SAWS will realise this through:
• Thought leadership in meteorological, climatological and other related sciences;
• The development of relevant and innovative applications and products utilising cutting edge technology; and
• Establishing and leveraging collaborative partnerships.
Community Conscious – A commitment to being mindful of the needs of SAWS stakeholders as well as, to be caring and compassionate towards the communities SAWS serves.
Safety Conscious – A consistent consciousness of the safety of SAWS employees as well as that of the communities SAWS serves.
Scientific - A commitment to scientific excellence and innovation, always striving for knowledge leadership in our field of expertise.
Simplicity - A commitment to providing weather and climate information and solutions that are simple to understand, relevant and easy to apply.
Collaboration – A willingness to work with, share with and gain knowledge from various stakeholders towards achieving a common goal, by making use of diverse strengths and abilities.
Continuous learning – An openness to continually expanding our knowledge base and applying such in developing solutions to challenges.
Making you Weather – Smart
S - Safe
M – More informed
A - Alert
R – Resilient/Ready
T - Timeous
This is the promise that will permeate all SAWS products and services as well as the associated marketing and brand promotion.
The operating principles, which will form the bedrock of SAWS operations, are:
o Responsible governance
o Innovation and continuous improvement
o Simplicity - Making weather data understandable, relevant and applicable and engaging stakeholders in an understandable way
o Ensuring the availability of relevant expertise
o Quality consciousness
o Customer centricity
o Team work and collaboration
SAWS QUALITY POLICY STATEMENT
SAWS is also an ISO 9001 certified organisation and thus meets ICAO and WMO requirements for Meteorological Services, particularly those that provide services to the aviation industry in the case of ICAO. To this end, the organisation has adopted a Total Quality Management System driven by this policy:
(SAWS) is a provider of useful and innovative weather, climate, and related products and services. In line with the organisation’s philosophy and ethos, SAWS has implemented a Total Quality Management system in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9001:2008. It seeks to ensure that both its products and services meet stakeholder requirements and are fit for use.
The Management and staff of SAWS are committed to the Vision, Mission and Values of the organisation and actively contribute to and support all initiatives aimed at achieving organisational goals and objectives.
In pursuit of organisational excellence, we commit ourselves to the maintenance and improvement of the SAWS Quality Management System. This will be achieved through:
• Setting of Quality Objectives and reviewing them periodically in order to improve operational efficiency, the quality of products and services and maintaining good corporate governance.
• Development of products and services that meet, and where possible, exceed client expectations.
• Adequate planning and the provision of resources needed for operations, implementing and supporting continuous improvement initiatives.
• Communication of this Quality Policy Statement to all employees and stakeholders.
• Reviewing of our Quality Management Policy and our Quality Policy Statement to ensure its ongoing suitability.